19 October 2010

silverbeet, potato and fetta pie

pie

I'm finishing up the last of the rainbow chard in the veggie patch... We're not big silverbeet eaters in this house, but this recipe hits the spot - its really tasty. I love that it looks like a present or package - just needs some string! Huz and I gobbled half of it for dinner tonight... I found it in an old Vogue Entertaining cookbook years ago and it usually gets trotted out when there's silverbeet growing. I've adapted it slightly for us.

Silverbeet, Potato and Fetta Pie

400g medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 2cm pieces
60g butter
1 large leek, sliced
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
250g silverbeet (or spinach or kale or any wild, weedy greens)
100g fetta
1 tbspn chopped fresh corriander (optional - I don't usually add it)
salt and pepper to taste
8 sheets filo pastry
50g melted butter

Steam the potato until tender. Heat the butter in a large frying pan, add leeks garlic and cumin and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally until the leeks are softened. Add silverbeet and cook until the liquid in the pan has evaporated. Stir in the potatoes, fetta (and corriander), season and mix well.

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C. Grease a pie dish. Layer 2 sheets of filo pastry together, brushing each with a little of the melted butter. Fold the sheets in half lengthwise and put into the prepared pie dish, letting the edges overhang. Repeat with the remaining filo, overlapping to cover all of the dish.

Spoon the potato mixture into the dish and fold the overhanging edges into the centre. Brush the pastry with the remaining butter and bake for about 30 minutes or until golden brown. Serves 4-6.

* From Vogue Entertaining Cookbook - Wickedly Winter - Conde Nast International 2000

6 comments:

  1. mmmmm yum! definately going to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum - I'm going to have to give that a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are brilliant, I have heaps of silverbeet and was going to do something similar to this, I am using puff pastry and roast pumpkin rather than potatoes tho :) Thanks XXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finding new ways to cook vegetables is always challenging so I love this recipe, it looks easy to make as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that sounds delish...we have rainbow chard growing at the moment...and I think the kids would like the pastry addition.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you are finding you are getting a few extra hits on your recipe posts it is me. I must get around to writing some of them down in my recipe book as this pie and your muffins have become favorites :)

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts...