23 May 2009

Spiced Zucchini Soup

We've spent some time in the garden recently and we were happy, although a little surprised to find some enormous zucchinis. I like to think its because of my fantastic green thumbs, but I suspect they grew that huge out of a combination of neglect and luck...


You know what? We don't even really like eating zucchini! Aarrgghh!! What to do?!?! Well a review of the cookbooks revealed Bill Granger's Spiced Zucchini Soup* which I whipped up for lunch with a friend last week (and again this week). It's sooo yummy and easy too...


2 small or one large white onion, roughly sliced (I used one large brown onion)
1 tablespoon olive oil
sea salt
1 tablespoon curry powder (I used curry paste - Sharwoods tikka masala to be exact!!)
1kg zucchini, sliced (this was half of one of mine!)
1.5 litres vegetable or chicken stock
freshly ground black pepper
45g (1/4 cup) short grain rice (I used medium grain)
yoghurt and blanched zucchini ribbons to serve (I skipped the green frilly bit..)

Place the onion, olive oil and salt in a large saucepan and cook over a medium heat for 5 mins, or until the onion is translucent. Add curry powder (or paste) and cook for 2 minutes. Add the zucchini, stock, pepper and rice and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to low and cook for another 20 mins.

Blend the soup in a blender or food processor (or with a stick blender) until smooth. Serve immediately with a dollop of yoghurt (cream works too) and garnish with zucchini ribbons. Serves 4.

*Bills Open Kitchen - Bill Granger - Murdoch Books

3 comments:

  1. My dad used to get these all the time. He'd scoop out the middle, chop it up with other veges & herbs, and stuff them, then bake :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm bookmarking this recipe because we always end up with an oversupply & limited zuc recipes in summer! It sounds delicious

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts...